Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Firepit

Hubby and I are transforming our rather blah backyard into a peaceful and beautiful oasis from the world. Our efforts include planting a spring veggie garden (cherry tomatoes, peas, green beans, scallions, winter squash, and zucchini); an herb garden (basil, lavender, chamomile, oregano, cilantro, and a few more that I can't remember); and eventually we'll plant lots of flowers for color. We already have five metal windchimes, and recently added a large wooden one.

Other plans include a brick patio, dining furniture for four, and a firepit. While we've yet to buy the furniture, we did buy a firepit on Sunday evening from Home Depot. And since we bought it in-store, there is no online picture of it, but I've selected a close facsimile for your viewing. It's square like this one, with a grille top, and has gray/dark orange tilework around the perimeter. The tile color is similar to the brick color we've chosen for the patio. Ours also has a handle on top (be careful! it gets hot when there's fire in the pit!)

Yesterday was, to understate the matter, a challenging one in Library Land, and all I could think about was getting home and out for some PT with a margarita or fine glass of wine (or even NOT SO FINE) with my boys and enjoying the flames of the firepit.

Hubby called at lunch and I told him about my morning. I said, "All I want to do is sit by my firepit and drink when I get home." And being the Best Husband in the World, he had the firepit assembled with a log in place and ready to light!

After a delicious dinner, which he also cooked for us, we sat in companionable silence on the patio and watched the flames dance in the darkening light.
It was really beautiful. Too few people can enjoy solitude or the companionable silence with a loved one. But we consider it a joy to be able to do so, not feeling the need to fill the air with noise and chatter, but rather savoring the moments of peace and quiet while just being...together...

2 comments:

Terry Lee said...

a firepit sounds soooo comforting and relaxing and oh-so-wonderful! you DO have the best husband in the world (next to mine!). :)

enjoy!

love ya,
terrylee

SarahBowie said...

I feel relaxed just reading this one. :)